Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Napoleon Jones - "Lazy Love"


Lazy Love b/w I'm Ready (Robin Song 1974 - French issue)

Napoleon Jones was David Christie, real name Jacques Pepino of Lyon, France. If that weren't convoluted enough, he also used the name "James Bolden," under which he wrote disco funk tunes for the likes of Grace Jones and Gloria Gaynor. He committed suicide in 1997.

"Lazy Love" is DRENCHED in reverb, which results in the muddy sound in the beginning. I feel the mix is a bit sloppy but, overall, it's a nice little pop song.

The B-side is pretty funky, more tastefully so than his later stuff under the David Christie name. It's kinda catchy, if you're into bongos, electric piano, and that early 70's Curtis Mayfield-style guitar.

He released at least 3 singles and an album as Napoleon Jones. Has anyone heard the others?


3 comments:

  1. As I'm sure Will has already communicated to you, another version of 'Lazy Love' exists in the form of the first single by the New City Jam Band. It's slightly more MOR-y and disco-boogie than this (not sure which came first), but still an overall pleasing effort. I think a member of April Wine may have been involved (always a good sign!).

    Just got the Kenny & The Car Parks single! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm still waiting for Will to send me an mp3! And I'm pleased to see people are snatching up that K&TCP single!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can you do: he's a busy Jew! If he doesn't come through with it, just shoot me an email via Sing Sing and I'll send it your way.

    ReplyDelete